Thursday, 12 April 2012

The casting procedure.


For those that don’t work as a model I thought I’d give you a bit of information as to what a model’s time is normally spent doing, casting.
The event may sound glamorous but indeed it is not... though it can be a laugh.




For the record a ‘casting’ is simply a word to describe an audition like process where you get sent by your agent to meet the client to see if you fit the bill per se.
You take your portfolio, sometimes they look at it sometimes they don’t (kind of annoying considering all the hours one spends building it up!).
Sometimes you have to wait hours to be seen and other times you walk right in.
You leave a model card but they normally take a snap for themselves. 




  
The great thing about my job is that every day is different but this always comes with a flipside.
I continually find myself walking into mad situations in crazy locations that I have to accept as normality and soldier on, even when at times it may have been better to just leave.  
It’s certainly moulded my personality into becoming even more outgoing and gregarious.





I will tell you about an extraordinarily embarrassing casting I undertook the other week...
Before attending, all I knew was that it was a fitness company and they wanted to use the model twice a month for at least 6 months.
“Perfect,” I thought rubbing my hands together, that’ll be my rent sorted for the next year.
I had just completed a shoot for LA fitness the day before so was delusionally self confident for anything fitness related. 
Upon walking into the room and introducing myself, I was told to do my ‘routine’.
“Sorry?”
“You’re a fitness instructor right? Your routine...”
Now at this point most people might think it wise to admit they’re not an instructor and simply leave courteously.
Being the wacko that I am I thought “heck, I’ve done a gym class or two, how hard can it be?”
Ten minutes of my exercise ‘routine’ later including an embarrassing floor compilation I left feeling like a complete idiot.
They had to actually stop the tape a couple of times and ask me not to swear (how could I not with all the mistakes I was making!).




Ha!
I don’t really mind though, it comes with the job and I take it on the chin.
Anyone else a bit surprised by the casting they’ve been sent to?

16 comments:

  1. That's hilarious!!! Can't believe you kept going with the audition thing. I would have totally just walked out. Did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to a casting the other day as a model when it was for dancers! Had to dance in front of full on pros. So embarrassing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. woah, you're like totally mental. I mean, I can't believe how crazy you are. You must be like super fun to hang out with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems a little sarcastic. I love your blog Henrietta!!!

      Delete
    2. supposed to be sarcastic.

      Delete
    3. Hi guys,

      Thank you for your comment Christie. And to you 'Anonymous'. Why are you going to such lengths to comment on a blog that you don't like? Obviously it interests you to some extent. If you don't have anything nice to say perhaps you can just not say it next time...

      Thanks for reading!

      Kind Regards,

      Henrietta

      Delete
  4. that was really funny!! hope you got the job..if not they do not know what they are missing :-)

    thanks for visiting my blog...hope you keep stopping by!! :-)
    http://www.e-fashiondiaries.blogspot.com/

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maggie Bradshaw14 April 2012 at 21:07

    This made me giggle so much!!! Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  6. How funny! I love that you just went for it - atta girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh you're just as mad as me.:-D I am not a model or anything like that, but if I was in this kind of situation, I would totally do the same!... well, maybe I would try not to swear. hahahah!! My friends always ask me how do I have guts to do stuff that I do on a regular basis!

    Haha LOVE THIS POST. This made my day.

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahaha too funny. Although dare say you deserve to be in dresses not sweatpants!

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha, you need to learn another word other than gregarious.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...